Monday 17 May 2010

Fully-fledged, whatever that means




It's my birthday tomorrow, I'll be fifty-six. Normally I'd have a day off but I don't think there's time. Not because, as Ronnie Lane said "it's a short film" - I don't think the clock's running (though you never quite know), but we've got a lot to do what with releasing a new album and leaving for America a week from today.
Thirty years ago, on my twenty-sixth birthday, I called my mum from my room at the Tropicana Motel.
"Where are you" she asked.
"Hollywood" I replied
"Ooh! Are you making a film?"
I've yet to star in my first feature film though I'd settle for a characterful cameo in a biopic about one of my increasing number of dead friends.
I'm glad I've made it this far and I'm thinking that all this work I'm doing must surely qualify me at last as a real adult. It's a bit like picking up an honourary degree - fairly useless I'd imagine by the time you get it. I mean, what the fuck does Sir Paul need with a doctorate from Sussex University. I bet it looks good on his CV though.
All I've got to do before we head off for the airport is pre-record five radio shows, finish off a version of a Nolan Strong number for a compilation album, rehearse the stuff on the new album (having figured out how the fuck we're going to do it), pack a bag, change the lock on the front door and get the studio ready to record a Robert Rotifer album as soon as we get home at the beginning of July. Shouldn't be a problem - not for a fully-fledged adult like myself.
I wonder what fully-fledged means. I only used the term because everyone else does. I can't believe I've managed to get this old without knowing the meaning fully-fledged. It's already a cliche and I'm completely ignorant of its true import.
Not that I give a toss.



Do yourself (and us) a favour and order a signed copy of our new album now, before they're all snapped up.

6 comments:

  1. I hope it has a fully (or partially) fledged version of Ballad of Easy Rider on it. Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright,Alright I've ordered it-Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fully-fledged - a bird gaining adult plumage or losing all its youthful fluff or something.

    We have to know that here (New Zealand) as our only really unique food is 'mutton bird' - a seabird killed prior to fledging and salted. Tastes a bit like a cross between a pork chop and an anchovy.

    Actually only a few people - mainly Maori - eat them nowadays. Still, only a few people here listen to Wreckless Eric. Why don't you come and play over here anyway? We desperately need a punk revival. After a brief respite in the '80s, New Zealand is returning to it's 1960s tradition of institutionalised blandness and being notoriously boring. Yes, the scenery's very nice, but a fully fledged country should have more to show for itself than that, shouldn't it?

    Cheers

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying the album, the psychedelic fairground reworking of Living Next Door to Alice is golden

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric, really enjoy the stuff with Amy, she's wonderful. And your blog posts, man they are hilarious, raw and a fun read. Push on guys, and someday think about stopping through Nashville so we can come see you and read about what a horrible time it was as only you can describe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hate to say it,but Eric looks just like Weller on the cover of the CD!

    ReplyDelete